Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Return of the poppies


It looks like it's going to be a banner year for poppies here at Mucky Boots. The San Pellegrino poppies (so named by me because they're the exact colour of San Pellegrino Aranciata, one of the most refreshing drinks known to humankind) have been blooming up a storm for about a month now, in their simple, modest way. But this week they were joined by their slightly-more-flamboyant orange cousins. . .



. . . and the first of the jaw-droppingly gorgeous, dinner-plate-sized Oriental poppies.



Look at all the future blooms on this one plant - and there are scores more all over the property. We're in for a show!

4 comments:

Paula said...

I sure like those yellow ones- very cheerful!

I planted poppy seeds for the first time this spring with seeds I collected at my sister-in-law's house last fall. I also collected sweet peas and a few other seeds. Anyway, I've transplanted them into the border and they seem to be doing fine. We'll see if I get flowers.

Probably what I should have done was plant seeds from the spice jar- those are nice big seeds, and then I'd have another crop!

Joleen said...

Yes - it will be a beautiful show there this spring.

Toni aka irishlas said...

Stunning! Ours have bloomed and are now gone.

Have a great weekend!

Flartus said...

I love that drink, too! I think you might be right about it.

We have almost identical poppies...well, we did, but they're done for the year. So I'll just have to enjoy yours now!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...