Sunday, May 5, 2013

Lilac


Today is a happy, happy day at Mucky Boots. Yes, the sun is shining, and it's gloriously warm (the thermometer on the porch is reading 29 degrees - in May, no less). But all that is secondary to something I have been waiting for for years: the lilacs are blooming and filling the air with their scent and I can smell them.

Until my sinus surgery last fall I had virtually no sense of smell for years. Years and years. And of all the scents I missed, the only one that made me want to cry was missing the perfume of lilacs blossoming in the spring. Well, it's spring, and they are flowering, and I can't keep my nose out of them for more than ten minutes, making up for all those years of lost sniffing.



Lilacs!

5 comments:

Alison said...

Congratulations! I, too, miss the smell of lilacs (but that's because they don't grow so well down south).

Enjoy!

Shim Farm said...

Ahhh, there's nothing like the heady scent of lilacs - except maybe lily of the valley. Swoon!

Enjoy your beautiful weather. Someone flipped the switch straight to summer here, and we've been enjoying temps around 25C during the day, and 10ish at night - great for sleeping.

And I can't believe I'm saying this, but we need rain!

Stephanie said...

I love the smell of lilacs.

Paula said...

I agree with Shim Farm that maybe only lily of the valley smell better than lilacs, but not by much.

You know, the other side of that nose surgery is also stinky stuff!

But I'm really glad for you that you can smell something as lovely as lilacs.

Come to think of it, cinnamon rolls smell pretty good too.

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

Dude. I think my nephew has the same thing wrong with his sinuses that you had. My brother just jokes that his nose isn't really attached to his body. I feel bad for him! What if he never gets to smell Lilacs!
(Mine are blooming, too. It's like heaven...)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...