Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Tulip Parade 2013


This is an annual event at Mucky Boots: the cataloguing of the year's entrants in the Tulip Parade. You'd think this would be repetitious, because it's not as if I plant any bulbs. So you'd expect the same tulips, appearing in the same locations as last year. And there is some of that. But there are also many surprises: tulips I swear I have never seen before, or in locations they've never been before. Someone has a sense of humour, and I'm guessing it's Mother Nature.



Tulips are the flowers that make me want to be a painter. An impressionist painter. Because when I step out the door and see the mass of green punctuated with bright splashes of colour from all the tulips, and when I try yet again to capture it on camera and fail yet again to capture what I see, I think the license I could take as a painter might allow me to show you how magical it is.

But for now, here is the Parade.




















And because they don't get their own parade and the tulips feel sorry for them, here are some tag-a-long columbines.



Oh, and the tulips have also asked me to include a photo of the anemones my friend Elisabeth gave me last year, because they are newcomers to the garden and the tulips want them to feel welcome.


6 comments:

Karla said...

Tulips are my absolute favorite flower! These look stunning with the blue flowers (what are those?). I think my favorite is the very first one with the red and yellow. Beautiful!

jeanives said...

I'm humming "76 trombones"

Stephanie said...

Spectacular series of tulip shot!

Miriam said...

Oh Karla, you would ask that...I'm not sure what the blue flowers are, but they are EVERYWHERE! I think they are bluebells, from the hyacinthoides family (since practically every blue flower gets called a bluebell by someone...). They are lovely, especially in masses.

Jean, I think you are hysterical. I think I'm going to try to coax Kim and her trombone out into the garden tomorrow.

Stephanie, thanks!

Paula said...

you take much better pictures than I do- they are all lovely!

city said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...