Monday, March 29, 2010

First and last



Our friend Donna came for an overnight visit yesterday. She brought her viola, and all afternoon the house was filled with viola and guitar duets - mostly gypsy jazz - and lots of laughter as she and Kim made fabulous music together.

While they played by the fire I played in the kitchen, putting together a supper equal to the special occasion. As well as crispy roast chicken and potatoes, the meal had a last and two firsts. The last of the rutabagas, pulled up the day before to make room for new plantings, mashed with butter and a bit of cream. The first of this year's salad greens. And the first of what we hope will be many asparagus spears - carefully cut it into thirds so we each could have a taste.

Wonderful company, wonderful food, wonderful music. It can't get any better than that.

4 comments:

Paula said...

Oh man- I am so jealous you have stuff in the garden to harvest and eat. I am such a long way away from that.

By the way, I used to play violin and viola many, many years ago. I quit because I had no discipline, consequently I stink on ice. But I love music though! Especially home made.

Sounds like you guys had a great time.

~Kim~ said...

There is nothing like good food and good friends and having good music is a bonus!! Glad you had an enjoyable visit!!

sissyjane said...

Sounds fabulous! I'm slightly envious...garden veggies already! I live in the mountains, and no veggies for us for months yet.

Toni aka irishlas said...

Sounds like the perfect evening to me!
We're hoping to cut the first asparagus in a couple of days..can't wait.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...