Monday, March 22, 2010

William's getting old



This is William. He's one of two resident cats at Mucky Boots, and as best as we can figure (he was adopted from the SPCA) he's about 15. Kim has had him longer than she's had me.

William is a cat with personality - mostly grumpy. In fact, he's the grumpiest cat I've ever met, although part of me admires the steadfastness with which he maintains his grumpiness. He's not interested in pleasing anyone. For example, if he is on the road in front of the car as we drive towards the gate he won't deviate from his own course an iota, but trots in front of the car, turning around every few steps to meow in annoyance at us as we follow him, very slowly, in the car. What a cat.

William loves being outside, and up until a couple of months ago he would come in only to eat. He has the worst fur in the world for a cat who loves being outside so much: long, fluffy, downy and prone to matting if you even look at him sideways. Did I mention he hates being brushed? As a result, Kim and I are always at him with scissors, trying to keep the mats under control.

A few months ago William had to have most of his teeth removed, because of a genetic problem that caused them to erode below the gum line. And now, all of a sudden, he's an old cat. He wants to be inside much more, and likes curling on the floor by the wood stove. He moves more slowly. He sleeps for most of the day. But yesterday he followed us out into the sunshine to bask in the warmth of the artichoke bed, against the wall of the chicken coop. I hope he has many more warm days in the sunshine.

2 comments:

~Kim~ said...

Cats were always my first love!! Our first one lived to be nearly 20and she only seemed to like me, and I think it was just because she couldn't feed herself! But your William sounds like a treasure that you need to look closely at to see the value!! I hope he has much more time with you and Kim!!

Paula said...

Me too!

My husband's grumpy too, but I still wouldn't trade him in....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...