Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Eating the fall


Even in the second year of our Mucky Boots adventure, it's amazing to me that mid-October we can still be pulling food from the earth to eat, like the golden beets, leeks and carrots that were part of our Thanksgiving meal on the weekend. Maybe that speaks to the fact I was born and raised on the prairies, where by the time mid-October came round (in the pre-global-warming world of my youth) we'd already be trudging through snow drifts bundled in parkas and hats.

Of course not all food is being pulled up from the ground. Some of it is falling down on our heads, from the big chestnut tree near the pond. Or would be, if we were in the right place at the right time (or maybe, given the prickly nature of chestnuts, the wrong place at the right time). The tree gave us a lovely harvest of nuts last fall. It was like looking for treasure: every time I walked past it on the way back to the greenhouse or the vegetable garden I would load up my pockets with the fallen nuts scattered on the path. This year, all I am seeing is this.


Someone (a small furry someone) is beating me to the harvest. Now it's like a contest: who will get the nuts first? So far I've managed to nab three. Three. I'm clearly losing this game...

6 comments:

Doc said...

In our area the squirrel and crow populations have doubled. We normally have enough Italian Plums to make leather, dried and more than enough to eat fresh. This year I gave the only survivor to Mema the rest disappeared.

Paula said...

Ah hates varmints.....

Natalie said...

Happy Thanksgiving!
I think your harvest looks aglow in loveliness.

John Gray jgsheffield@hotmail.com said...

what a lovely blog
hello from another chicken keeper from North Wales
best wishes john

Toni aka irishlas said...

We have a couple of english walnut trees at the back of the property, but, this year, hardly any nuts. I spied them earlier in the season, but, I think we're having the same varmit stealing going on.

Well, I guess it's only fair to share!

How's egg production doing? Are you getting a surplus yet?

Miriam said...

No surplus yet - only two of the new flock have started laying, so we're getting one (usually) or sometimes two eggs per day, which we're gobbling up as fast as we get them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...