Sunday, October 17, 2010

Toad lilies



This is supposed to be the time of year when I cut down and pull up everything I've been trying to grow all year, but against all odds there is something blooming instead: toad lilies. And in the most unlikely of places: at the front of the house where we conducted our major landscaping project this spring. That ground was trampled and wheelbarrowed over, big rocks were rolled across it, soil and mulch were dumped on it. We knew the lilies were there and did our best to protect them, but in the end it was just too hard and we thought they had been sacrificed. But now, a few months later, here they are blooming away, holding no grudges at their rough treatment. We're sorry, little lilies, and glad to see you now!

6 comments:

The Witch said...

I love Toad Lilies but have had no luck with them at all.
One year they did bloom after waiting four years and the next year the plants have died. I really don't think they do well in this zone, though they say they do.
Enjoy them because they are so colourful and spectacular.

jeanives said...

How big/tall are they? I don't think I've ever seen one but this is spectaular. Hang onto it until Friday. Back from the Okanagan and drying out today after blitzing quite a few wineries!

Miriam said...

The plants are 8-12" tall, and the blossoms are quite tiny - maybe the size of a quarter. We'll do our best to keep them going until you come on Friday but it's been getting down to freezing the last couple of nights, so it may be touch and go!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I've had the same thing happen to a few of my flowers and like you I am glad when they forgive their mistreatment--There's something to be learned from that! :-)

Toni aka irishlas said...

Oh my, they are beautiful! I've never seen toad lilies. Thanks for taking a pic and sharing!

Paula said...

How cool that they survived your landscaping! Don't you just love flowery surprises?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...