Saturday, November 20, 2010

Wonderland



We don't get much snow here on southern Vancouver Island, and when we do the normal functioning of society tends to grind to a halt. Part of that is because the snow is usually wet and the temperature right around freezing, so the weight of a car turns it instantly to ice. But I like to think that the other part is that it's just so gosh-darned beautiful when it snows.

True to the weather forecast that has been circulating for a few days, it snowed last night - about eight inches where we are (which means maybe two or three everywhere else...). We woke this morning to trees and fence lines coated in white.






Kim has kept the chickens in the chicken yard today, where the thick overhanging evergreen branches have kept most of the snow from reaching the ground.


I think Pee Wee is quite proud of how nicely the snow sets off the red of his comb and wattles...


...or maybe he is just wondering what happened to the disco dance party.

5 comments:

Toni aka irishlas said...

So lovely to look at. Please don't send it my way. I had enough last season to last me for a good long while.

My chickens like the snow. Maybe they see it as a new adventure?? Who knows what's going through those little brains~

Have a great weekend, ladies!

Flartus said...

Oooo, how lovely indeed! And how clever of you to capture so much with your camera.

Joleen said...

Yes, it really is beautiful. I'm looking out my window right now (in Salt Lake City) at a total white, foggy scene. After a night and day of HOWLING wind, the whole world out there is now silent and white. Snow is falling really hard. Thank heavens it's Saturday night and I have a full day tomorrow that I don't have to leave the house and deal with walking or drivfing anywhere in it. It really is beautiful though.

Miriam said...

I agree - it's quite magical to be snowed in without needing to fight the weather to get somewhere!

Natalie said...

The beauty of it... oh my goodness, it is breathtaking. I would love to spend time in weather like this, with such scenery. As for the chickens... they do look comfortable, but I can't help but wonder if they couldn't use lined boots, shawls?! Maybe I can be slightly less concerned about the little bit of rain we are having... obviously chickens are a sturdy lot!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...