Thursday, November 18, 2010

Berries


We are having (another) grey, drizzly day here at Mucky Boots - with a bit of excitement this morning when the cold rain turned to slushy snow. Frankie acquired a white coat, the chickens were very perplexed, and Kim and I got cold noses and fingers working outside.

There was an extra bit of excitement when we looked down the lane from the coop to the house and saw flashing lights and two men in work gear with a chain saw, apparently cutting down one of our trees. We flew down the path waving our arms and hollering - and it turned out they were from the hydro company and they weren't cutting down a tree, they were drilling a hole in our power pole to check for rot.

The nice thing about the incident (other than learning our pole is rot-free) was that my attention was caught by some beautiful red berries growing in that part of the garden. The holly berries are a show-stopper, of course, but also glowing red in the greyness of the day were these berries on the winged euonymous.


Those of you who have been reading this blog for a while know I have been trying to rehabilitate my feelings about our winged euonymous bushes. They look too much like alien stick insects for my comfort.



But this fall's display of colour started to change my mind, and now these tiny red berries have convinced me it's time to get over my hangups and appreciate these bushes for real.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

I am smiling... seeing that, even in the gray, you are finding bright spots. And thank goodness no trees were harmed!

Flartus said...

Ha ha, I can just imagine the chickens' confusion! As well as you and Kim pelting down the lane hollering at the wayward lumberjacks...

So what is winter weather generally like for you? Gray and rain, or clear and snow, or somewhere in between?

Miriam said...

Winter weather is usually grey and rainy - not every day, but most of our annual precipitation happens during the winter, in the form of rain. We do get snow very occasionally - in a usual year we might have a couple of episodes of snow that actually lasts on the ground for a few hours. The winter we moved here was a record breaker for snow (just our luck) and last winter was a record breaker for rain (which meant state-of-emergency flooding). Which makes me think of global warming and wonder what "normal" means anymore...

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

We had a similar incident earlier this fall when the utility company came--They are supposed to clear a 10 foot space between the poles and when I saw them, I went running down the driveway and I convinced the guy that it was a bird and butterfly sanctuary and he shouldn't--He only cut about 6ft, it was something, and I appreciated that.

jeanives said...

Hi from Reykjavik which is wonderful! I've got some pics on my Facebook wall. Can you se any of the WE berries from the diningroom window? That particular bush could benefit from being tidied up a bit but not if it is suddenly your most precious item. LOL.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...