Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Broom


I've decided I love our broom. For some reason, when the kitchen floor is littered with crumbs and flotsam and all those pine needles the animals track in I have never thought - until recently - of reaching for the broom. I've always hauled out the vacuum cleaner instead.

I love our vacuum cleaner, too. It's a great vacuum, and at the risk of sounding ridiculous, I can tell you that during our first dark days here when we were wondering if we'd made a terrible mistake, the one beacon of goodness and rightness was our new vacuum, that sucked up stuff like nobody's business.

But our broom is light and quick and agile...and quiet. It skims smoothly over the floor, restoring order and tidiness without fanfare, power cords or fuss. It lets me feel good about reducing floor pollution, noise pollution and my carbon footprint, all at the same time. It almost makes me feel like dancing...with my broom.

7 comments:

Rae said...

Omg, you're funny. Though, truthfully, I get what you mean. It's like how having a good pen makes writing more enjoyable. My favorite broom is one of those big 2+ ft dry mop push brooms, like they use in gyms. We have no carpet in the house, and I can sweep the entire house with that broom in under 5 minutes. Oh yeah. A good broom is a beautiful thing. :)

Natalie said...

Loving the broom love! And you have powers of persuasion, because I actually feel like sweeping across our dance floor now too!
I like Rae's observation about a good pen... a good pen is my bliss. Maybe the right tool makes any job better. So, I have to ask: what kind of vacuum are you using. Ours is not so great, and we have been waiting to fall in love with a good one.

Miriam said...

Oh, our vacuum! Our wonderful vacuum! It's a Miele, made in Germany, and it cost more than I ever thought I'd spend on a vacuum. But with three animals constantly bringing in all sorts of vegetation and debris, and shedding gratuitously, it has been a huge frustration-saver. It sucks pet hair off carpets like...like...like a miracle! (Oh dear - I worried my vacuum-love would make me sound ridiculous...)

Negerigeletschtempoit said...

I sure understand the broom thing.

A few years after I arrived here, my mom sent me a broom from Brazil. I could not find the type that I wanted here, made of soft bristles.

It feels like a short horse mane, and it is rounded on its corners to clean the baseboards. I still have it. And there is nothing better for my kitchen floor!

I can wash it (and I do) from time to time. It turns out as good as new.

At first, my husband thought it was crazy but now he uses it too!

xoxo

Paula said...

I'm still waiting for broom love, because of this darn slate floor I had put in. I wanted something inexpensive and durable, which it was, but it's a natural product, so it's all uneven and everything. It's pretty, but a bitch to keep clean! (can I say bitch here?) Anyway! Only the vacuum gets it decently clean, but it's a pill to drag out all the time. So the floor looks pretty bad, most of the time. Sweeping just doesn't do it, because stuff gets stuck in the low spots all the time....I just need a house elf....

jeanives said...

I've got that very same broom! But not the Miele. however I do have a cleaner who was here today so I'm a happy and clean camper.

Flartus said...

Lol at your vacuum love...I feel the same way about our new washing machine. Which, considering the money we put out for these products, I would surely expect!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...