Monday, January 17, 2011

Prescription



I heard on the radio today that some mental health professional has determined that January 17 is the most depressing day of the year. It has something to do with the post-Christmas blahs, post-Christmas debt, not enough sunlight and the dawning realization that all those New Year's resolutions are going down the drain yet again.

Wasn't that a cheery news clip?

I don't think I'm in danger of depression, but Kim and I have been feeling a little whomped with weather. Last week's big dump of snow morphed this weekend into mud, mud and more mud, and we were reminded that it was under similar conditions that we named this place Mucky Boots Farm. And we've been plugging along painting railings and installing baseboards, both of which are fiddly and neither of which is giving us much satisfaction.

So I was in need of a little cheering up, some kind of reminder that spring is on its way. Lucky for me the sun came out today, I could see the mud puddles starting to dry, and best of all: green shoots in the garden.


There's no better prescription for January blahs than the first evidence of snowdrops poking through the mulch.

Of course Frankie's version of a green prescription is his green B-A-L-L. No sign of blahs there.

8 comments:

Negerigeletschtempoit said...

Oh, Miriam, I do understand the feeling. It has been around two weeks since I bought a new pair of jeans for Hubby and have been procrastinating on the hem business...

The day is awfully clowdy, everything is grey. Cold outside and darn UGLY!

It reminds my of something my mom always said: "Keep your tummy in, boobs sticking out and nose up, because everything will get better."

It is good to know that you are both doing fine - and Frankie.
xoxo

Natalie said...

It's not fair... we have sun to spare and no practical means of sharing it. But with my fondest wishes, I am sending you bright days, warmer nights, and dreams of the spring that is drawing nearer and nearer.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Hi Miriam!! I missed your last post--You have really been getting clobbered--I remember those days when we lived in Alaska, but like you have found seeing those little signs of life under it all brings warmth and hope!!

Paula said...

I can't remember if your part of Canada normally gets snow- for some reason, I thought you were in the temperate part of BC..am I wrong?

My problem with working baseboards is that it kills my knees.

But I was glad to see your shoots and buds. Today was the last of some warmish weather; tomorrow the weather will start acting like a proper winter, and we'll be burning wood again.

You gotta find ways to enjoy the winter when you get stuck inside. Hot eats and tea is one of my favorites. And hey! Shouldn't you be picking out what to grow this next summer?

Flartus said...

That's what I love about dogs--they're always in a good mood!

I know what you mean about the winter doldrums. I moved south not to avoid cold weather, but to get out from the low, gray sky over my hometown from October 'til May! I've always had a very special place in my heart for those tough little snowdrops.

Miriam said...

Yes, Paula, you're right - we're on southern Vancouver Island and we're NOT SUPPOSED TO GET SO MUCH SNOW!!!! But somebody is messing up, because of the three winters we've been here, two have had a "highly unusual" amount of snow. Hmph.

Thanks for your words of encouragement, everyone! May Natalie's wish for sunshine reach us all!

A Brit in Tennessee said...

I seem to be too occupied at work to be depressed, or at least I haven't had the time to notice.
I can see where all those reasons would bring on a winter depression, especially the Christmas debt.
I smiled when I saw the look on Frankie's face holding his bal between his paws, utterly smitten.
Snowdrops popping up out of the ground, how special !
More snow for us, I'm afraid.
Hugs,
Jo
x

sissyjane said...

Something's wrong with me...
Here in the Sierra Nevada mountains, we are having spring-like weather, and I'm actually missing the snow.

Your green shoots are so hopeful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...