Thursday, January 27, 2011

Waffles



Breakfasts are a problem for me. No...let me put that a different way: breakfasts are a minefield for me. Between needing to avoid gluten, dairy, eggs, nut butters and sugar, and just wanting something warm and comforting, I end up with depressingly few choices. Just think about it: what do you eat for breakfast that avoids all those things?

The obvious choice is oatmeal, maybe served with some fresh or stewed fruit. But I don't even want fruit in the morning, on a regular basis - I seem to do better if I can avoid any kind of sugar at the start of the day. For a few weeks I was stuck on toasted gluten-free bagels, topped with home-made veggie pate, but I was getting more bored - and even more congested - the longer that rut went on. My reliable, good-for-me standby is rice and steamed veggies, but after a few mornings even that lovely feeling of being virtuous starts to fade.

And then, through some kind of serendipity (or maybe it's just a food fad) I started seeing recipes for waffles everywhere. Gluten-free waffles. Waffles that can be made with egg-replacer instead of eggs, and soy milk instead of cow milk. Waffles that have virtually no sugar in them. Waffles that have vegetables in them. Waffles that are hot and comforting and easy to freeze and reheat.

So yesterday I bit the bullet and bought an inexpensive waffle iron. I thought about this hard for a week or so, because I have been carefully avoiding acquiring more kitchen appliances for the last couple of years . But I decided that the benefits outweighed the downside: a nutritious breakfast option, the convenience of being able to make a big batch and freeze them for instant re-toasting, and the fact that given the outrageous cost of gluten-free bagels, a waffle iron would pay for itself in about a month of breakfasts. Plus, I could make waffles with vegetables in them. (Have I said that already?)

This morning was the inauguration of the new waffle iron, and the recipe I chose came from Quinoa 365: The Everyday Superfood. It uses extra-nutritious quinoa flour as the base, with pumpkin puree and all the right spices: cinnamon, ginger and allspice. The waffles turned out tender and tasty, even without any maple syrup, and even though I made a big batch I'm not sure there will be any left by the end of the day to freeze.

I'm thinking that a different recipe, with more neutral or even savoury flavours, would give me a nice alternative to gluten-free bread. Because even though I've tried about every gluten-free bread on the market, I have yet to find one that has a decent texture and doesn't cost six or seven dollars a loaf. (Actually I did find one I liked enough to pay that much for, but then the company stopped making it.) I have tried baking my own, and found one or two recipes that are okay, but they are very starchy, and the texture is still not great.

So I'm trying not to think that waffles are going to save my life, but can I be forgiven if I'm just a little bit excited about having a cheap, nutritious, bread-like option for breakfast?

7 comments:

Flartus said...

Honestly? My breakfast often includes ALL those forbidden items. I would never make it!

A friend of Miss Chef's has a particular interest in gluten-free recipes; I'll ask her if she has any good bread recipes. (I know she developed a great pasta recipe, but it has about 4 different kinds of flours, so don't know if it's realistic for home use.)

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Hi Miriam!!! The waffles really do look good! I've no idea what to suggest...I know it's taboo, but I think anything with bacon or sausage on it is wonderful for breakfast! That's the southern girl in me talking though!!

Miriam said...

Yes, bacon is excellent, and it makes any day better! (Just not every day, or I won't fit into my pants...)

And Flartus, I would really appreciate any bread recipes! 4 different flours in a recipe is no problem - in my pantry I currently have millet, quinoa, brown rice, white rice, sweet rice, teff, chickpea, sorghum, corn and potato flours, plus potato starch, corn starch and tapioca starch. Oh goodness, that sounds pretty bad...

Paula said...

Breakfast without eggses?! I LOVE eggses! I'm glad you're figuring something out. I would be so lost if I couldn't eat all the stuff you describe.

I don't have any suggestions, other than potatoes- can you eat spuds? Since Steve can't have cereals in the morning, I give him his eggs over some kind of fried potato, and bacon or sausage.

I used to make him salmon cakes for brekkie, but that would require an egg (unless you could do it with egg replacer).

Saveur magazine did an issue awhile back that was all about breakfast all over the world. Pho in Vietnam (I think) refritos in Mexico. See if you can find the October 2008 issue at the library, or maybe they'll send you a back issue.

Negerigeletschtempoit said...

Miriam, I was reading around the net and found this blog, where there is a recipe for glutten free bread. It does look really good. Maybe you would like it:

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2009/02/delicious-gluten-free-bread.html

I hope it helps you.
xoxo

Crazy Lady with purple fingers said...

I know exactly how you feel, I also can not have gluten, milk products, nuts, soy and I agree breakfast is hard, I usually have a smoothie with rice milk, a banana and some frozen berries. I have also gone the waffle way and freeze them to reheat. The gluten free bread in the stores is expensive and tastes like sawdust. After buying all the flours etc. the recipes call for and still not having success, I buy the Celimix rice bread mix, I like the one with the flax seed in it and follow the recipe on the bag, I found I have bake it in small little loaf pans and then when it is cool enough I cut it in slices and freeze it in portions and then just warm it in the M.W. I add what ever I want to the bread dough...dried cranberries...sunflower seeds. I also use a regular banana bread recipe and just use the bread mix for the flour and on the occasion I really need a cookie I make them using the bread mix and they are eatable, you have to do some adjusting to know how much of the bread flour mix to use.I can also make muffins with the bread mix but also find they have to be frozen and reheated just before you eat them. The hard thing is eating away from home, always taking my food with me.

sissyjane said...

I love, love, love waffles with peanut butter. Can you eat peanut butter?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...