Saturday, July 3, 2010

Anti-ouch ointment



I've been cruising around the Internet looking for things to do with some of the herbs and flowers growing here at Mucky Boots - in particular, ideas for using calendula, which I grew from seed this year and which has just started to flower.

Calendula is good for helping skin irritations, abrasions and burns heal, so some kind of salve or ointment seemed a good bet. Comfrey is good for the same thing, and it's growing everywhere here. The recipe I eventually found used both, plus lavender.

The first step is to put an ounce each of calendula blossoms, lavender flowers and comfrey leaves in a jar and cover them with about two cups of sweet almond oil. That's what I did today. It's going to sit in the sun for about two weeks to infuse, after which I will strain out the vegetable matter. The infused oil will be gently heated with some beeswax and the result, when cool, should be a nice salve to use on all of the bites, scrapes and burns I seem to accumulate.

4 comments:

The Words Crafter said...

This is so, SO cool! It makes me think of books set in the past or lands that only exist in books...they all had to go to someone who knew herbs and healing...and here you are really doing it!!! Awesome! It even looks cool!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

What an interesting idea!! Please let us know how this works out--For me, anything with lavendar makes me feel better!! :-)

Paula said...

I knew about comfrey (comfrey is just one of those plants that can do everything- I've even heard it makes good toilet paper in a pinch) but I didn't know about the calendula.

I'll be interested to know how the rest of the recipe works and how the resulting salve works too!

Edward said...

I've tried making Comfrey Ointment without perfect success, but I did find a place to buy it. I stopped by their store in NH and found the herbalist there to be highly knowledgeable. You can also order from her web site at http://www.cloverleaffarmherbsandgifts.com for this and a number of other organic items. I'm enjoying your site as well and love your tagline.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...