Thursday, July 29, 2010

Ginger cookies



If you come to Mucky Boots Farm for tea, the chances are pretty good you'll be served gingersnaps. At least that's what the recipe calls them. They're actually not snappy at all, but chewy and moist, which is how I like them. The recipe comes from here, and, by popular demand, here it is.

Gingersnaps

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (you can also substitute your favourite gluten-free blend)
2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t ground cloves
1/2 t ground ginger
1/2 t ground nutmeg
3/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup molasses
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1/3 cup granulated sugar

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.

2. Sift the flour, baking soda and spices together and set aside.

3. Put the oil, molasses, brown sugar and egg in the large bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium speed until smoothly blended together, about 30 seconds. On low speed add the flour mixture and mix until incorporated.

4. Put the granulated sugar in a small bowl. Roll the dough by level tablespoons between the palms of your hands into balls. Roll each ball in the sugar to coat. Place the cookie balls 2 inches apart on the prepared sheets.

5. Bake for 8 minutes, reversing the baking sheets after 4 minutes, front to back and top to bottom. The cookies will be evenly brown and have large cracks across the top, and will flatten towards the end of their baking time. Cool them on the baking sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer them to wire racks to cool.

Equally good with ice tea in the shade, or with hot tea by the fire.

10 comments:

Paula said...

Yum. I love ginger cookies. I also love gingerbread- I mean I really, really love gingerbread. My older sister used to make it in the wintertime and serve it with a hot lemon sauce over it. I don't get ginger anything anymore, not even pumpkin pie because of the ginger in it because my husband doesn't like ginger. I still don't understand how a kid comes out of Germany, home of Lebkuchen and other gingery delights, not liking ginger!

But I'm changing things this year. I'm growing pumpkins for pie- Sugar Babies, I think they're called (I can't remember the name of the variety I planted), so that I can make pie. Which I will, even if I have to eat the whole thing by myself for breakfast and dessert. I'm taking ginger back!

Paula said...

By the way, those really look good!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

It's early morning and I'm sitting here wondering about breakfast--I think these cookies might be good for breakfast too, they really look delicious!! But I'd love to enjoy them at Mucky Boots Farm, they may be better and much more enjoyed there! :-))

Natalie said...

Have mercy!
Those look so scrumptious.

amothersheartinwords said...

I like to try different recipes and this just happened to be the next one I looked at! Thanks!

Breakfast it is, then. Cookies!

jeanives said...

Thanks for visitng this morning, and for the balm. And super thanks for posting the recipe which I can vouch for as the BEST gingersnaps ever. Do you use gluten free flour or wheat? You mention the option but my experience with non gluten flours is that the texture may be quite differnt. And if you use GF do you have to add guar gum? Too many questions?

Flartus said...

I'm not a huge tea-drinker, but I'd down a whole pot if it came with those cookies.

I always assumed the "snap" in the name was supposed to come from the spice of the ginger. Not that most store-bought ginger snaps even have actual ginger in them, these days...

Miriam said...

Paula, I think you should make a batch just for yourself, freeze them in small groups, and pull them out whenever you want a treat!

Jean, if you used GF flours you would need to add xanthan gum or guar gum. A blend of flours would work best (I use a blend of brown rice, sweet white rice and tapioca) and the texture is not the same, but there you go. The ones you had were made with regular wheat flour.

Flartus, that's very interesting about the snap meaning spice - I learned something new!

Everyone else, I can personally vouch for how good these taste for breakfast - and lunch and dinner and bedtime snack, although they're sticky enough you'd probably want to brush your teeth afterwards!

Paula said...

That is a great idea! And I have the freezer space!

The Witch said...

My first visit and already I'm loving this cookie recipe.
I'm hoping to give it a try this weekend.
Love and your flowers and the idea with the birdbath has given me a idea.
We haven't been able to use the bird bath since moving out to the country because of all the birds of prey around.
Now I have new idea's for it .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...