Saturday, July 17, 2010

Chicken renos part 2

Before.


After.



What you can't see, behind the new paint job, is that we have also done more work on the inside of the coop: we moved the interior wall to make more room for the chickies, and cut the remaining space in two with another wall. So now we have two separate enclosures for chickens (which will come in handy when the roosters start picking on the hens) with some remaining space for storage.

We're also doing more work on the fencing, replacing some rotten bottom boards, shoring up three wobbly fence posts, and patching a few holes in the chicken wire. We've also had to sink a new post to mount a secondary gate. That means we not only have two separate interior areas for chickens, each half-flock can also have its own yard, if necessary.

Boy, this has been a lot of work, and we're not quite done yet. The current rooster/hen count is 5/5, so those five roast chicken dinners and all those lovely eggs come spring are going to feel well earned.

5 comments:

Toni aka irishlas said...

Everything looks absolutely great! I'm sure the chicks will appreciate all the room.
We still need to add another run area for rotational use. Its just been too bloody hot!

jeanives said...

I thought the count was 6/4 rooster/chicken? What about those 6runty bum feathers? Do you have a trans-sexual?

Paula said...

I ws looking at chicks again at the Urban Farm Store in Portland. Good thing I have such resolve not to do chickens until next spring. I just am so sure that I'll bite off too much for this year. It was hard, though.

I also chased the same raccoon mother and kits out of my yard TWICE today, so I don't want to introduce chickens until I know that they won't enter the yard. I just think it would be too hard on their nerves AND mine....

Your space looks totally 'coon proof though, and lovely farm colored too.

Paula said...

I just looked at this again. I really much prefer your new color scheme.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I also like the new color scheme and know your chickies will love their new digs too! :-))

By the way, what a grandioso finish to your poppies!! I enjoyed every photo of them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...