Sunday, July 4, 2010

Convert


I haven't exactly been enamoured of our gooseberry bushes. We have six or seven of them and last year I was completely confused about when to pick them - they tasted awful when they were green and they tasted just as awful when they were red. Plus, as I wrote here, weeding around them was an occupational hazard. I wasn't sure these bushes had a future at Mucky Boots.

Well, I never did get around to taking them out, and last week I noticed the beautiful (if awful tasting) green berries hiding beneath the leaves and decided to give them one more chance. I went looking on the Internet and found Tigress in a Jam, who had a recipe just for me: Golden Jelly. It called for a couple of pounds of green gooseberries (which I learned are full of pectin) and some lavender sprigs, which are in plentiful supply around here these days. Perfect.

Except that when I went out yesterday to pick the berries, I found the birds had been there before me, and the most I could scrounge was about 3/4 of a pound. The end result didn't even fill a jar (which is why you can see the foam on top - normally this would be skimmed off while it cooked, but I didn't want to lose a single drop). But oh, it is lovely! Soft and fragrant and not too sweet. I am now a convert. I may even plant more gooseberry bushes, just for this jelly.

On the way back to the house after taking the jelly photo I saw this: William and Petunia. Bookends.

4 comments:

The Words Crafter said...

The cats look adorable and I've never tasted gooseberry....

Sparkless said...

My Grandmother used to make gooseberry jelly and it was heaven! Now you've got me craving it.

Paula said...

Hmmm. I first tasted a gooseberry in Germany, of all places, and wasn't enamored of it then. But- anything full of natural pectin I'm starting to pay attention to, because of the requirement for less sugar, which isn't really on my husbands okay list.

Actually, we're off to pick berries at a local farm with the neighbors tomorrow morning. I'll have to see if the farm has gooseberries too.

Love the pic of the garden statuary.

jeanives said...

I am getting anxious to inspect your summer garden. I'll bring Joanie on a 'road trip' soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...