Sunday, March 27, 2011

Spring - maybe



A few posts ago I joked about how we could tell that spring has finally arrived. Only it doesn't really feel like spring is actually here. I'm still waiting for a last dump of snow - which will probably happen within 24 hours of us finally returning the 4WD we borrowed when the tribulations of our long, steep hill in the snow finally got the better of us...

But maybe - just maybe - spring really has arrived. We had two sunny days last week. Or, rather, two days in which the sun made a somewhat brief appearance. Maybe - just maybe - we are finally emerging from our winter long murky semi-dark drabness into a world of tender green leaves and flowers.

The only tender green leaves are on a spindly junk shrub by the pond, a shrub that would otherwise go unnoticed and unloved...


...but there are a few flowers. So in the interests of boosting our winter-sodden morale, here's what's blooming these days at Mucky Boots.

Crocus and hellebores...





...primula and daffodils.



Technically speaking, these magnolia buds aren't blooming yet, but don't they say "Spring!" to you?


And in among the spent snowdrops and aconite, the first rhubarb. Not a flower, but spring all the same.

6 comments:

Paula said...

Oh yeah- it's spring where you are. NOT that you won't or can't get another snow storm. I think I'm beginning to see the buds on my apple trees starting to swell just a little tiny bit. And I have asparagus coming up. They look good sized, too, and I think some of them are going to get cut this year.

Your pictures are lovely, by the way...

Rae said...

Great pics! I really need to get some bulbs in the ground this year, so that I will have spring time reminders next year (former owner didn't appear to care much for plants). I think I've seen two daffys, but no flowers yet.

Christian said...

As a surfer, I've never been a fan of the spring because the wind blows unfavorably until summer. Now that I have a garden, I'm really into it. When the surf is awful, at least I can go home and look at all the blooms.

I love your photos! I think they really capture the essence of the season. :)

Toni@BackyardFeast said...

It's definitely spring! I see pea sprouts, crocuses, and even the occasional glimpse of sunshine...:) But I'm jealous of your daffs out--ours are close but not quite open yet. Aren't micro-climates amazing?!

Negerigeletschtempoit said...

It is difficult to wait for Mother Nature to make up her mind, isn't it? We have little flowers blooming also but it has been quite cold still. Night before last, we had to bring some planters inside because it was going to frost. So, just like you, I am asking: "Are we there yet?"
xoxo

Flartus said...

Yes, that's definitely spring. But if it's a true spring, you're never really sure it's arrived until it's gone. So just assume it's here, and if it snows again, go back and look at your pictures instead of out the window!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...