Tuesday, March 29, 2011

These chicks are...


...ugly!


Okay, maybe that's not such a nice thing to say, but every time Kim or I go into the powder room to check on them we are startled all over again by how. . . ugly. . . they are. I actually find it thought-provoking and inspiring that they can be so darn funny looking and not give a peep. They eat. They poop. They play. They don't spend a moment caring that some clueless human being standing in front of them is fascinated by how ugly they are. I aspire to that level of aplomb.


We're amazed at the difference in size and feathering among the chicks - which is probably a result of being a cross between two different breeds. They're all the same age, but some are feathered all over and some still have big bald spots. Some are all black and some, like this little pullet, clearly take after their Rhode Island Red fathers. Some have long bushy tails and some have no tails at all.



They've been quickly outgrowing their brooders. Soon it will be time to move them into the heat-lamp-warmed chicken tractor, which Kim has been busy cleaning and rejigging. In the meantime, she noticed that every time she lifted the lid to clean the fountains or add food to the feeders the chicks would immediately flap up to the rim, so she added some temporary head room. It'll do until the tractor is ready.

8 comments:

Paula said...

I aspire to that level of aplomb, too. I laughed at that. I guess we were all awkward teenagers, huh?

Natalie said...

Another one to join the laughter. The title grabbed me, and I thought you were just kidding! The picture tells the truth, and so did you: Ugly! hahaha. Oh dear. Just so darn goofy, and uncute, and it really is kind of mesmerizing.

Rae said...

Oooooh buddy! Definitely an awkward phase! Our buffs never really looked that bad, but maybe blondes wear it better. I'm betting our mixed breed batch will be funky lookin. :) They're still cute, sort of. Lol.

Flartus said...

Glad you said it, so we didn't have to! :D I continue to be impressed by Kim's handiness. I do wish you were our neighbors.

Negerigeletschtempoit said...

Poor babies! They don't look their best, that's for sure.

I guess adolescence in ckickies is the same as for humans: pimples all over the place, strange looking noses and clumsiness.

Add to it, constant sleeping, eating, pooping and being mute. At least your chickies cannot slam the powder room door!
xoxo

Toni aka irishlas said...

We could all learn something by the lack of vanity in chickens!

But, just remember, the ugly duckling became a beautiful swan! Mine are just past the ugly stage. Well, most of them anyway.

Even though ours have a deep brooding box they still like to fly up and explore. I pull the netting back whenever I'm in the laundry room and they all like to take turns flying up to the edge of the box. Once in awhile, one will get brave and take a fly into the room somewhere!

Okay, I've geeked enough about my chickens....

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Add me to the list of those who should aspire to that level of assurance in myself--Maybe then I wouldn't spend so much just to get my hair cut!! But in reading your post I'm reminded of the ugly duckling and know this will be what happens with these 'swans!' :-)))

farmhousewife said...

TEENAGERS! That's what I call them - so ugly only a mother can love them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...