Monday, April 18, 2011

Hanging out



I haven't been talking very much about my vegetable garden (at least I don't think I have - have I?) but it has been poking along. Not in the actual garden. Oh, no - we have to stop having spontaneous hail storms and snow flurries (yes, there was one of those the other day) and the temperature needs to be a bit more consistent before I'll trust my precious seedlings to the ground.


But inside the cozy plastic protection of the greenhouse, warmed by more heat mats than I care to admit, spring is skipping along blithely. The tomato seedlings are too tall for the tray's dome covers, so I have had to rig up an indoor poly tunnel to cover them at night, when the temperature still approaches freezing.


The hardy greens - the chard, arugula, mizuna, spinach and bok choy - have been weaned off the heat mats and the covers at night, and are waiting patiently for me to resolve my trust issues with Mother Nature so they can finally go outside to live out their veggie destiny.

The cabbages will join them - my lovely cabbages. I grew them for the first time last year, and fell in love with the young plants. They look so fresh, so sprightly, so edible.


They're all just hanging out. Waiting.

7 comments:

ruralaspirations said...

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I'm so happy to have found your blog - it's lovely! Always happy to find others "living the rural dream" in the Cowichan. I'll be back for sure. :-)

Paula said...

Your stuff looks really good! You're way ahead of me.

Flartus said...

Even though I've got stuff in the ground, it's being pretty poky, too. My cucumbers never germinated. The beets are smaller than some weeds that sprang up weeks after planting. I only have time for close inspection on the weekends, but things don't seem to change much one week to the next. The broccoli seems happy enough, though.

Isn't there some saying about gardening and patience? :)

jeanives said...

We had frost this morning, AGAIN! I haven't even thought of veggies yet.

Toni aka irishlas said...

I know how the "hanging out" feels! Actually I did a wee bit of planting today. I feel almost human again...

Everything looks great!

Miriam said...

We had thunder, rain and hail again this afternoon. What the heck is going on?!!! Mother Nature and I aren't making any progress on our trust issues...

christian said...

They look great! Here in So. Cal it's starting to get warm, so spinach season has passed. I am so excited for next year, though.

Be well. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...