Sunday, April 17, 2011

Two dozen and one


Is there anything - anything - cuter than a Black Australorp chick?

Yes, we have more chicks! 25 more, to be exact. The second batch of Mucky Boots chicks hatched on Friday and Saturday: 7 Black Australorps and 18 Buff Orpingtons.

I should be a bit more precise: not all of the Orpingtons were Mucky Boots bred - some of the eggs came from our chicken mentor Ev. And if you are a careful counter you'll notice when you watch the obligatory cute-chick video below that five chicks are missing: they have already gone to their new home.

video

The chicks are in their own brooders set up over the toilet in what used to be the powder room and is now Chickie Central. That makes Brooder Number 3 and Brooder Number 4 - it's getting awfully crowded in there! In the next few days some of the chicks will be moved into the larger brooders still occupied at night by the older Red Rock Cross pullets, who spend their days in the chicken tractor outside but aren't quite ready to move into the chicken coop. Soon!


These big girls don't seem overly impressed by their new roommates...

10 comments:

Paula said...

Oh yeah! That first picture is a heart-melter!

Nancy K. said...

Well now, I may just have one that's even cuter for you: I raise bantam cochins and the black/mottled babies are colored just like your black Australorp but they have fluffy feet!!! ;-)

I recently hatched out a BLRW (Blue-laced red Wyandotte crossed with my Buff Orpington hen ~ I'm calling the chick a "Blue-laced Buff Orpingdotte"! :-) You can see her on my chicken blog here: http://bluffcountrybackyardchickens.blogspot.com/

Enjoy your Chickens!
Nancy

Flartus said...

I didn't know you had another batch on the way! Sounds like you had much better success with this brood.

So now I have to ask you to please review your chicken population for us. I've lost count!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

You should have seen me on Friday looking at all the chicks at the 'Southern States' and continuing to resist that urge to buy one or two or three...They also had turkeys...Cute, cute cute--But not as cute as your Black Australorp chicks! :-)

Miriam said...

Yes, Flartus, you and me both. I believe we have (and don't quote me on this) 11 grown up Buff Orpington hens (but we're losing two this afternoon to a good home in our quest to diversity the age of our flock), one BO rooster (Pee Wee), one Black Australorp rooster (Hector), two BA hens (Gertie and Alice), six Red Rock Cross pullets, and seven brand-spankin'-new BA chicks. Plus the 18 BO chicks, but they will be going to Ev shortly.

Hmmm...I don't think I have really cleared this up...

You probably won't be surprised to hear Kim is in the early stages of converting our tool shed to Chicken Coop #2!

Paula, you need chickens! Soon!

Nancy, how nice of you to stop by! I'll certainly check out your photos, and until then I am having a lovely time imagining chickies with fluffy feet....a much lovelier time than thinking of the naked neck turken chicks I saw the other day...

Kim, turkey chicks may be cute, but just think about how they look when they get older!

Christian said...

I love that video! They are so cute!

Toni aka irishlas said...

What a mug! How can you not love chickens, I ask?

Doc said...

It is a good thing I live in the city or I would have soooo many chicks. How is our favorite Rooster doing these days?

Miriam said...

Hey Doc! Hector is doing just fine. We had a soon-to-be-qualified poultry judge come by to look at our birds and she agreed that Hector is one fine specimen! He is such a modest fellow, though, that it didn't go to his head...

backyardfeast said...

Miriam, I can't believe your patience at another chick cycle! As cute as they are, I can't wait to get our second batch out into the coop with the rest of the birds and take a break. I'm looking forward to eggs--and ready for the dust, smell and noise to leave the upstairs bathroom...just in time for ducklings! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...