Friday, April 8, 2011

Overrun


Does anyone know what this is? I spent an awful lot of time trying to eradicate it from the perennial beds last year - clearly to no effect, because suddenly, in the last week, it's everywhere.

Maybe it's something beautiful or useful and I've been battling it for no good reason. Or maybe (and this is my suspicion, since anything that spreads that quickly can't be good) it's a vile, invasive weed that I will be fighting until the day I put down my gardening tools.

It's about two inches high (and getting bigger every day) with pointed green leaves and purple stems.

Help! What is it?

2 comments:

jeanives said...

It sorta looks like echinacea but I know you are familiar with that having given me some. Hmmm.

Paula said...

It sort of looks (and sounds like it's acting like) field bindweed. "Pull the vine to interrupt seed production. Till every 2 to 3 weeks during the growing season for 2 to 3 years to tarve out the root system. Cultivation tends to spread the infestation." From here: http://www.unce.unr.edu/publications/files/nr/other/EB9801.pdf But that's from Nevada. However, it doesn't grow in deep shade.

You got yourself a good mystery there- I can't find anything that makes me really confident about identifying it. But I hope for your sake that you do get it identified quickly and that it turns out to be delicious in stir fries and salads!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...