Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Mystery weed identified


(Photo from here.)

Thanks to my choir friend Elisabeth, the mystery weed has been identified: it's campanula, or creeping bellflower. Some people grow it on purpose, so I guess I shouldn't be calling it a weed. On the other hand, some jurisdictions have identified it as an invasive plant. For any of you non-gardeners, that's really, really bad. It's almost impossible to get rid of because of how well it spreads by way of its rhizomes. So I think I'll call it a weed after all.

In other words, the good news is that it's pretty, and the bad news is that it will smother my garden if I don't do something about it. Oh happy day...

There was some of this in the garden last year - quite a bit, if I remember correctly - and it is lovely, especially in masses when the blue flowers on the long stalks sway in the breeze. But do I want it everywhere?

So I have a decision to make. I think I'm going to end up going with a non-perfectionist compromise: root it out completely of the herb beds on either side of the verandah stairs, keep it to a dull roar in the big central perennial beds, and let it do whatever the heck it wants to in the beds along the property line.

There. Decision made. Sounds good to me.

8 comments:

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Hi Miriam!! In looking up 'your weed,' I almost said that creeping bell flower was what it was, but I thought it didn't bloom, and so I thought that couldn't be it. This is exactly what I have too--THANKS for the information on it!!

I hope you and Kim are having a good week!!

Flartus said...

Wow, sounds like you're in for an ongoing battle of the bellflowers. It's prettier than the Bermudagrass I have to contend with. I hope you get some satisfaction from digging out those big ol' rhizomes!

Doc said...

Sounds an excellent plan.

jeanives said...

It is a rather gorgeous thing but obviously moderation would be good. Eradication sounds like a non-starter so this is a perfect test for your non-perfectionist goal.

Toni aka irishlas said...

I'll trade you my thistle for your bell flower....

It's so hard to ignore those "out of place" things, isn't it? I'm sure I suffer from some type of OCD because I'm kinda a neat freak myself - inside and out. My husband blames it on Catholic School :-)

Paula said...

Yay! It's something pretty, not prickly! Do bees like it?

It looks like something bees would like. Maybe you should get some bees. Then it would be useful. Bee forage.

Christian said...

From hell's heart I stab at thee, rhizomes! I have all these crazy, spike vines running up, under and around the yard. Rhizomes...that's how they do it. Yuck!

Negerigeletschtempoit said...

They do look good though, don't they? Even a good looking thing can be too much, and annoying.

I battle with wild violets around here. I never thought those little things would be so crazy. They grow everywhere and take over my flower beds, if I don't dig them out fast enough!
xoxo

PS - I have no plans to learn how to play the accordion... you made me laugh a whole lot!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...