Monday, April 11, 2011

Preparing for battle


I am preparing for battle. No, not the battle between me and the weeds - although there will be some of that, since the mystery weed is blanketing beds it hadn't been in previously. What is it? (It's not bindweed, and I'm pretty sure it's not echinacea, although if it is all my friends and in fact most of the population of Canada can expect to get tinctures for Christmas. But thanks for even trying, Paula and Jean!)

No, I'm speaking of the battle between my stubborn perfectionist streak and my desire to look at my life and my garden with more equanimity. Spring is the time when many weeds, not just my mystery plant, make their presence known. Instead of freaking out (which I am doing just a little - can you tell?) I want to engage in calm, measured, carefully paced measures to deal with the unwanted plants, all the while accepting with an open and peaceful heart the gifts that even the weeds in my garden bring me and the lessons they can teach me. Instead of looking out on my garden and thinking of the scores of items on my to-do list, I want to use it as an opportunity to embrace the world with all of its beautiful imperfections. Wabi-sabi and all that.

Ha! Who am I fooling?

In the meantime, while I work on the anally-retentive aspects of my personality, here are some of the things growing at Mucky Boots that don't fill me with the urge to dig up and rip out.




5 comments:

Paula said...

Maybe the chickens would like a go at the weeds?

And you're welcome, of course; I'm just sorry I couldn't be of practical help.

And that perfectionist streak? Snap out of it!

Gardens can only be perfect when there's an army of gardeners to keep it that way. While I realize that you're an army of one, one can only do so much.

So relax and concentrate on taking more purty pitchers for the rest of us!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Hi Miriam! You know, I looked through a couple of my books for your 'mystery weed' and even through some sites on the internet trying to find it--I came up with a couple of references of people mistaking a 'weed' for echinacea, but no one said what it was. Let us know, because I'm pretty sure I've got the same thing growing in my yard too.

Miriam, don't be so hard on yourself! I always enjoy seeing pictures of your flowers, chickens, projects and all the other things, like 'mystery weeds' that makes Mucky Boots such a special place!

Flartus said...

I had to smile at your picture of the grape hyacinths. They grow all over our lawn and beds in the early spring...and Miss Chef would like to dig them up and rip them out! She hates the scraggliness of the droopy leaves. But since she never does any weeding, their population grows unchecked. ;)

Doc said...

Miriam,
I believe your mystery plant looks like Purple loosestrife (Lythrum salicaria), without seeing what it grows into I couldn’t be positive but that is what I believe it is. Very invasive.

Miriam said...

There you go - one woman's weed is another woman's photo op! How funny is that!

Doc, how alarming! When I read your post I looked up some pictures online, and it may just be wishful thinking, but I don't think it's the mystery weed. But it will stay on the list of possibilities and I'll keep checking as they grow, just in case!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...